You can use a FTP Client (e.g. FileZilla FTP Client which works both on Windows and Mac) or File Manager provided by your hosting company.
From the File Manager or FTP client, you can update to latest theme. Let’s use Real Homes – WordPress Real Estate Theme as an example:
- Login to your hosting’s FTP using the FTP client.
- Locate the realhomes theme directory under wp-content → themes directory.
- Put your website on maintenance mode using a plugin
- Rename the realhomes theme directory to realhomes-old.
- Upload the newly downloaded realhomes theme from ThemeForest to wp-content → themes directory.
- Check your website if there is anything wrong. If everything looks fine, you can leave the realhomes-old there and delete it later.
- If you want to go back to old version, go back to wp-content → themes directory and remove realhomes directory. Rename the realhomes-old to realhomes. Now you are back to old version.
Child Theme is Recommended
Our every theme’s package includes a free child theme. We strongly recommend our clients to use the child theme and make all future changes in the child theme.
This way you can easily update parent theme whenever the new version is released. We always try to keep our themes up to date and also keep adding more features over time.
If you still need further assistance or have a question then please feel free to ask for help on our support site (login required):